Preparing for a tropical storm doesn’t need to be super stressful. Obviously, this depends on where you live, but in most places, you should be fine. If you do a little prep work and cover all the bases, you should be able to shelter the storm comfortably.
Stock Up On The “Necessities”
You have to make sure you’re ready to live without power, water, gas, phone, and internet for a few days.
Stock up on:
- Non Refrigerated Foods
- Cash (this has saved me a ton of times when credit/debit are down
- Full tank of gas in case flooding happens and you need to evacuate
Don’t overdo it though: Remember you’ll probably be without power for a few days, so stay away from buying things that need to be in the refrigerator. It’s only a few days so grabbing some Cliff Bars, Bread, Peanut Butter, etc will be enough.
Make Sure Your Home Is Ready
With any wind storms, you need to ensure the outside of your home doesn’t have any debris that could fly away. Bring everything in and tie everything up (including your BBQ, no joke mine fell off the deck in a storm) that you can’t bring in.
Other things to consider:
- Stock up on flashlights
- Stock up on batteries
- Fill up bags with water and place them in your freezer. If the power goes out you can put them in your fridge to keep help keep it cool.
Pick Up “Essentials”
Here’s the fun part! Now you need to think about the fun things you want to keep you busy and preoccupied during the storm and the potential power outage.
Things To Consider:
- Snacks! This is the time to binge. Pick up the chips, cupcakes, or whatever your favourite snacks are
- Portable Chargers. This will help you to keep scrolling social media long after the power goes out
- Alcohol. Not everyone is about this, but if you are, nows the time.
- Board Games. Have your favourite board games on hand. Even a deck of cards can help kill a few hours.
Now that you’re fully prepared, all you need to do is sit back and ride the storm out.
What are your best tips for preparing for a tropical storm? I would love to hear them in the comments section.
Other articles you may enjoy