Both my husband and I have gone through laser eye surgery recovery. 100% the best decision we’ve ever done. Not only does it make life easier to be able to see without assistance, but it’s cheaper in the end. Contacts, contact solutions, and glasses add up over the years. My husband had his done 10 years ago and I had mine done 6 years ago. Neither of us has had any issues since.
**Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, at no cost to you**
Top Tips For Lasik Eye Surgery Recovery:
- You need a buddy! You can’t drive after the surgery so you need someone to pick you up and help you for the first 24-48 hours.
- If you wear make-up, remove it and I would recommend not wearing it for a couple of days. I took mine off the night before and there was still some left on my lashes when I went in. I had to spend some additional time trying to get all of it off. I strongly suggest removing makeup 48 hours before and then continue using remover over those 48 hours to ensure it is completely removed.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions and make sure your buddy knows your surgeon’s instructions! Use the medications and eye drops as prescribed.
- After the surgery, wear the UV protective glasses (they provide them) constantly for the first 24-48 hours.
- Do not use electronic devices for the first 24-48 hours. No tv, phone, computer, etc. I had my husband go into my Netflix account on my phone and play Friends. It’s a show I know super well and didn’t need to visually see it to know what was going on. It was my entertainment for 2 days.
- Let your eyes rest! Don’t try to test out how well your vision is, or read. Just take time to listen to podcasts, an old show, an audiobook, and a nap. Your eyes are healing and the recovery isn’t a long time, so just lay back and enjoy.
- I wasn’t allowed to shower for the first 48 hours but I could take a bath! Also, a great way to pass the time! Have someone run a bath for you with bubbles or a bath bomb, light some candles, pour you a glass of wine, and play some soft music…. Spoil yourself! You deserve it!
- Go to all of the follow-up appointments! You just spent a ton of money on your eyes so take the follow-up appointments seriously. My husband didn’t have a lot, but I had a ton. I’m not sure why there was a significant difference between us on that.
Must-Haves to Get You Through Your Lasik Eye Surgery Recovery
- Bring a zip-up hoodie or cardigan for the surgery. I found the surgery area to be cold and was grateful I brought a fuzzy zip-up. This is my go-to cozy sweater. It’s so cozy and warm.
- Stock up on comfy clothes. You’re going to be in bed for the next day or two so comfy PJs or sweats are a must.
- UV protective glasses. Your eyes will be more sensitive to the sun from now on.
- Eye drops. They provide them in the beginning, but you’ll want to stock up as your eyes will get super dry for the next little while. These are the ones they suggested for me.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nurse, or medical professional of any type. These are the very simple thoughts and ideas that I formed while helping my husband, as well as myself, recover from surgery. Please do not take this as medical advice, and if you have concerns please contact a medical professional immediately.
If you’re wanting to do a care package up for someone going through laser eye surgery, I strongly suggest you click here for my best tips for care packages.
If you have any tips and tricks for laser eye surgery recovery, I would love to hear about them in the comments section.
Leave a Reply