Every year I find myself in at least one cookie exchange. I have never hosted a cookie exchange but I’ve been to so many of them and I win every year.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to host a cookie exchange or what to expect from a cookie exchange, I’ve got you!
Rules of Cookie Exchanges
The rules are super simple at the cookie exchanges I go to.
- 12 people are invited
- Every person attending bakes 13 dozen of the same cookie or treat (1 dozen is put out for everyone to snack on during the get together and the other 12 dozen are split amongst the guests as each guest receives a dozen of every treat)
- We usually have a dress requirement. Ugly Sweater, Christmas Pj’s, etc. It is non-negotiable though, every guest must adhere to the dress code cause it’s fun.
- We do a prize for best tasting treat. Every guest puts out a dozen of their treats (the 13th dozen they baked) and we try all of them and then silently vote on what treat tastes the best. The prize isn’t what matters, it’s the bragging rights hahaha.
- We do a prize for the best-packaged treats. Some people get super crafty with their gift packaging, I personally just hit up the dollar store.
Picking the best recipe is key for cookie exchanges. You need something that doesn’t take forever to make (after a few hours of baking you can get pretty annoyed), something that doesn’t take too many steps (again, 13 dozen!!!!), something that freezes well, and something that is so good you keep getting invited back to the exchanges, and possibly win a prize.
My top 3 favourite recipes for cookie exchanges are
- My moms Peanut Butter Balls (secret recipe)
- Hot Chocolate Cookies These cookies are AH-MAZING! I have won so many cookie exchanges with these bad boys! They are a bit time-consuming to make, but they’re worth it.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Cake Truffles. These are also really good and have won cookie exchanges with them. The reason I love them though is they’re easy to make and freeze perfectly so I can make them up ahead of time.
How to Package Cookies For a Cookie Exchange
You can either go super elaborate or super simple with decorating the treats.
Amazing Ideas I’ve seen are:
- Customized cookie Jars
- Treats in a mug
- Santa Baskets
Simple Ideas I’ve seen:
- Christmas tins
- Gift boxes
- Gift bags
- Really anything from the Dollar Store. They have tons of options.
If you have any cookie recipe or packaging ideas, I would love to hear about them in the comment section.