When you’re doing back-to-school shopping, remember that if they have braces it is very important to pack a little emergency kit for them to keep in their backpack or locker.
What to pack
- Wax. You never know when a bracket will pop, or a wire will get loose. It’s super annoying, and I couldn’t imagine spending an entire day with the pain. I found this wax on Amazon, and my son loves it. It comes in fun colours too!
- Single-use toothbrushes. These are great if you get food stuck in your braces. Colgate Wisp is great as it has toothpaste infused in it.
- Floss brushes. I’m not sure how else to describe them. They’re mini brushed picks that you can use to clean between your teeth and brackets when you’re not at home. They’re amazing and I highly recommend the red ones, that size worked the best for me.
- Rubber bands.
- You can put a compact mirror in as well. I don’t as I figure he’ll be in the bathroom using these, not in class.
Back to School Lunches
Remember to keep their braces in mind when packing lunches. Some of my go-to items my son packs for his lunches are:
- sandwiches (make sure the crust isn’t too hard)
Stay away from granola bars, fruit snacks, pretzels, and popcorn.
For more soft food ideas, click here.
If you need more tips for living with braces, you can read about my tips, tricks, and must-haves here, and if you have any other suggestions or tips, I would love to hear about them in the comment section.